I wrote a couple of years ago about how tough it is to be a minimalist when you have too much stuff. I think I always have too much stuff, although it’s a relative perspective. The Hoarders on television are infinitely beyond me, but I still dream of rooms and closets like this:
There’s nothing holy or magical about minimalism, and I’m a live-and-let-live woman: if you like collections, and feel good surrounded by beloved objects, that is very cool. A lot of stuff around me makes me anxious, however, and I will probably need to move onto a boat (or into a Manhattan studio) to truly streamline my possessions.
Sandy’s parents recently moved from a (very full) 4,000 square foot home to a small apartment in Senior Living. It was hard for them to choose which possessions would make the journey. They have done it though, and are adapting well. The “extra” things have been given to loved ones, sold, and donated. The memories will always remain.
In my own minimalism journey, I’ve come across the “only one” concept. This calls for the paring down of our belongings to just one of each useful thing: one set of sheets, one spatula, one pen. Like many “rules for life” this one can sound crazy – why have one drinking glass per person, really? But there are areas where I could benefit from the power of one. Your life surely differs, and I’d love to hear your views, no wrong answers.
I could be happy with:
- One great black cardigan.
- One great purse (doing that now with my Coach).
- Four beautiful wine glasses (one set), instead of the mismatched jumble I have now.
|These are so pretty. From Bed, Bath and Beyond.|
- One car. We’ve been a one-car family for fifteen years.
- One bottle of perfume, my favorite.
But not happy with:
- One scarf. How could I choose? I love them for color and creativity.
|So many beauties to chose from. This one’s from Nordie‘s.|
- One pair of boots. Well, I could do it, but where’s the fun? If only one, though, these by Stuart Weitzman might do.
- One lipstick. More is more. MAC makes some gorgeous lipstick.
- One pair of jeans (hello, laundry?).
- One cat. It is my doom to have multiple cats.
|Three cats and their shadows. King just bit Skinny’s neck and is licking his chops.|
Have a splendid Thursday and stay fabulous,