One of the most pleasurable pastimes while in NYC is observing street style. I can sit in a coffee shop and watch the fashionable men and women stream by. That doesn’t happen much on my own turf, no offense to my charming hometown.
I barely ventured above 14th Street (just to go to the Fashion Institute of Technology) so what I saw can be called Downtown (but not Wall Street) Style. Not many suits or Chanel anythings, but lots of fresh and creative outfits.
Here are some of the standouts:
- Cropped pants with boots. Both slim and wide-legged trousers were more visible this year, cropped at the ankle to show off fabulous booties. Some plaids too:
|Lots of this look, Downtown Style.|
- Skinnies are still the jean of the moment, though the lady-mags tell us wide legged and boot-cut jeans are making a revival. Lots of black leggings too, under dresses and long sweaters. Hello 1980’s?
|Skinnies for the guys, too. His varsity jacket is trending for both men and women. Source.|
- Sneakers! If there’s one dramatic change from last visit, it’s the number and variety of sneakers. Converse – short and tall – and slips-ons in quilted leather, and even old school Nikes with dresses and skirts. I like this youthful look and it makes great sense when you’re walking 3-5 miles a day on city streets.
|It’s a fresh look and a change from the ever-present bootie. Source.|
- One jumpsuit. That’s all. On a very tall, slim, gorgeous woman who may have been a model. She rocked it. Maybe jumpsuits are all over Uptown.
- Mini skirts. Lots of very short skirts, made wearable with the addition of tights and leggings. These are mostly on the 25-and-under crowd, and they carry them off beautifully. Not for moi.
|Lots of leather seen around town, too. I need about six more inches on the hemline. Source|
- Oxfords. This might be my favorite trend. They look dressier than sneakers and are comfortable for city walking. I have a pair on my wish-list for Winter.
|Why not go bright? These are Marc by Marc Jacobs|
Anything here flip your switch?
Have a fun-filled day and stay fabulous,
Not Dead Yet Style is a ShopStyle affiliate – please be aware that all links to these vendors are affiliate links. I do benefit from your purchases through the links on the blog.